Kalahandi State merged with Orissa on the 1st January 1948 The ex-State after integration together
with the ex-States of Patna and Sonepur formed the district of Kalahandi with headquarter at Balangit
On 1st November 1949. Patna and Sonepur ex-State areas were separated to form the district of
Balangirpatns (later Balangir) and the ex-State of Kalahandi, together with the Nuapada sub-division
which formed a part of Sambalpur district, since 1st Aprial 1938, was reconstituted a separate district (Kalahandi) with headquarters at Bhawanipatna Govt. of Orissa again resuffled and created 30 districts in Orissa province and Nuapada district was created on 1st April 1993. Padmasri Paramananda Acharya' states, "Yuan Chwang has described a place called Polomolokili, which is Parimalagiri. The location of this place is somewhere in Western Orissa. There is a vast Archaeological site in the Khariar sub-division of the Kalahandi district, not yet visited by any Archaeologist. Sri Durga Prased Tripathi, an O.AS (later LA.S.) Officer described it in the proposed Gazetteer of Khariar. This proposed Gazetteer of Khariar was never published and this Manuscript is now preserved at the Archives of the History Department of Sambalpur University. Accession No. 44.
Belkhandi site in Kalahandi State region was visited by 1. D. Beglar in 1874-75 and 1875-76, who gave a detailed note on its ruin in "Archaeological Suvey of India Report. Vol XIII In 1946, the Kalahandi Durbar administration undertook excavation at this site, which brought to light the lower part of a temple consecreated to Goddess Chandi and the beautiful images of Saptamatraka (Seven mother Goddesses). In the words of Maharaja Pratap Keshari Deo An archaeological department was established in the State under Sri Kedarnath Mohapatra and Sri Satyanarayan Rajguru who took up various researches and excavation work of temples like Belkhandi temple and the site of Sapta Matrukas along the Tel Valley. As I happened to be the President of the Kalinga Historical Society, a quarterly high-class Journal known as The Kalinga Historical Journal' was rublished from Bhawanipatna Sri Purnachandra Rath of the Archaeological Department of the adjoining Patna State happened to be the Secretary and Senior Editor of the Journal. Orissa did not have an Archaeology Department at that time. The nucleus of the Orissa Archaeology Department was started by Sri Satyanarayan Rajguru and Sri Kedarnath Mohapatra, employees of the erstwhile Kalahandi State and Sri Paramananda Acharya of Mayurbhanj State Service. This department is a gift to Orissa and has organised the Museum in Bhubaneswar. N. K. Sahu, P. K. Mishra and J. K. Sahu also state that The Kalinga Historical Research "ournal brought to light a band of local Scholars like Purna Chandra Rath.
**Contents and Sample Pages**
Art & Culture (777)
Emperor & Queen (486)
Send as free online greeting card
Email a Friend