'Saharsayogam' is enjoying the status of Ayurvedic Practical Prescriber among Kerala Ayurvedic Physicians. The public of Kerala also keeps this book with them and considers it as the book of Ayurvedic Home Remedies. 'Sahasrayogam' means one thousand formulations, and on a rough estimate it appears that the number of formulations vary from 700 to 1200 in various versions. It also appears that some more formulations have been added periodically to the original text based on their practical experiences, which resulted in the increase of total number of formulations. The formulations described in the book consist of different Kalpanas like Kashaya (Decoction), Taila (Medicated oil), Ghrita (Medicated Ghee), Choorna (Powder), Asava, Arishta (Fermented liquid), Vati, Gutika (Pill) and Lehya (Linctus). Besides the poly herbal formulations, single drug recipes are also indicated for the treatment of different diseases. In addition to the classical formulations some of the traditionally useful simple herbal recipes are also included in this book.
Central Council for Research in Ayurveda and Siddha has edited and published the Hindi version of 'Sahasrayogam' by consulting various versions like.
1. Sahasrayogam- Vaidya Priya Vyakhyana, Velayudha Kuruche.
2. Sahasrayogam- Attur Krishna Pisharate Bharata Vilasam Press, Trissur.
3. Sahasrayogam-Sriram Vilayaka Press.
4. Sahasrayogam- Tamarakulam kochch Sankaran Vaidya et al.; V.V. Press, Kollam.
5. Sahasrayogam- Sujanapriya Vyakhyana, Vyramba Press, Alaghusha.
Sahasrayogam was originally written in Sanskrit language and translated into Malayalam. Some of the slokas in the text consist of Malayalam vernacular names of the descriptions of certain herbs. A good number of Kashaya (Decoction) yogas were incorporated into other Kalpanas. Even today a large section of patient population of Kerala regularly consumes more number of Kashayas. It is customary in Kerala that one has to study thoroughly Ashtanga Hridaya initially, followed by Sahasra-yogam to practice Ayurvade. It is quite apt to assert that Ashtangahridaya and Sahasrayoga are two eyes to Kerala Ayurvedic physicians.
In the present book an attempt is made to present the content of Sahasrayogam on the lines of Ayurvedic formulary. In the annexure, table of weights and measures and their metric equivalents, therapeutic index, formulations and Latin names of herbs incorporated in the formulations are arranged in the alphabetic order. In the text, slokas that are bilingual (Sanskrit & Malayalam) are specified with star (*) mark.
A comparison is made regarding the number of formulations described in the C.C.R.A.S. publication and the Telugu version and the details are given in the annexure.
The description of different formulations facilitates the pharmacist as well as physician to prepare the formulation without difficulty. This book will be useful not only to the practitioners of Ayurveda but also to the under graduate as well as Post-graduate student community of Ayurvedic Medicine. The Telugu version rendered by Sri V. Koteswara Shastry and the Hindi versions rendered by Sri D.V. Pandita Rao have been consulted in the preparation of the manuscript of this English translation.
We acknowledge Dr. Divakar, Medical officer, CGHS, New Delhi, for having sent the various versions of Sahasrayogam which found to be useful while preparing the present work.
We also acknowledge M/S Chowkhamba Sanskrit Series Office, Varanasi for the publication of this work.
Name : R. Vidyanath
Date of Birth : 4th February, 1961.
Place of Birth: Guntur
Parents : Dr. R. Satyanarayanacharyulu
Smt. R. Rajyalaxim.
Academic Qualifications :
1. B.A.M.S. (Nagarjuna University - 1983)
2. M.D. (Gujarat Ayurved University-1986)
3. Special Training in Pancha Karma (International Institute of Ayurveda-1996)
Medical Officer - A.P. Govt. Service -1986 to 1996.
Lecturer- Govt. Ayurvedic College, Vijaywada-1996 to till date.
A. Books Published :
English: 1. Panchakarma
2. A handbook of Astanga Sangraha (U/P)
3. Rasa Sastra (U/P) - (Co Author)
B. Papers Published :---10
C. Seminars/ Workshops / Conferences :---20
Name : K. Nishteswar
Date of Birth : 6th June, 1955.
Place of Birth : Kakinada
Parents : Subrahmanya Sarma
1. Sanskrit Basha Kovida (Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan-1975)
2. B.A.M.S. (Andhra University- 1976)
3. M.D. (Gujarat Ayurved University-1980)
4. C.F.N. (IGNOU-1992)
5. PhD. (University of Poona-1997)
1. Captain G. Srinivasa Murthy Memorial GOLD MEDAL., Academy of Ayurveda, Vijayawada-1978.
2. Dr. Udaya Bhaskar Memorial GOLD MEDAL., N.R.S. Govt. Ayurvedic College, Vijayawada-1980
3. HARIOM ASHRAM GOLD MEDAL., Gujarat Ayurved University Jamnagar-1980.
4. HARI ANANTH GOLD MEDAL., Institute of Indian Medicine, Pune-1988.
5. State BEST TEACHER Award GOLD MEDAL., Govt. of A.P.-2001.
6. NAGARJUNA SILVER MEDAL., Academy of Ayurveda-1982 (for best P.G. Thesis)
7. NAGARJUNA SILVER MEDAL., Academy of Ayurveda-1998 (for best Ph.D.. Thesis)
8. Third Prize for the Best Thesis on Diabetes in the National Thesis Competition. Vasudev Vilasam Trust, Trivendrum-1981.
9. Second Prize for the best Thesis on Hypertension in the National Thesis Competition Vasudev Vilasam Trust. Trivendnim-1982.
10. First Prize for the Best Thesis on Heart Diseases, Vaidya Ratna Moos Trust, Trissur-2001 (Senior Author)
11. D.Sc. (Doctor of Science), International University of Complementary Medicines, Colombo-1991.
12. President's Selection for biographical inclusion in the seventh edition of 500 Leaders of influence by American Biographical Institute, Raleigh (USA) -1997.
A. Telugu :
1. Dravyaguna Moulika Siddhanthamula
2. Dravyaguna Prayoga Vignanam
3. Rasasastra Vignanam
5. Bhaishajya Kalpana Vignanam
6. Charaka Samhita (Kalpa Sthanam)
7. Ahara Oushadha Chikitsalu
8. Andubaatulo Ayurvedam
9. Maninde Mandu
10. Ayurvedic Treatment
11. Ayurvedic Siddhantamulu
12. Ayurvedamulo Arogya Jivitam (Co-Author)
13. Ayurveda Soundarya Sadhanalu
14. Chikitsa Darshini
15. Ayurveda Vanamulika chikitsalu
1. Herbs in Basawarajeeyam
2. Arthritis & Ayurveda
3. Ayurvedic Remedies for common Skin diseases.
4. Ayurvedic Treatment of Nervous diseases
5. Ayurvedic Treatment for Hypertension
6. Ayurvedic Management of Stroke (Hemiplegia)
7. Ayurvedic Management for Heart diseases (Co-Author)
8. Asthanga Sangraham (Question Bank)
9. Guide to Ayurvedic P.G., Entrance Tests.
10. Question Bank for Ayurvedic P.G. Entrance Tests (Co-Author)
11. Rasa Sastra (U/P)
C. Papers Published :---60
I. Kashaya Prakarana
II. Ghrita Prakarana
III. Taila Prakarana
IV. Choorna Prakarana
Bhasma Ksharadi Yoga
V. Arishta Prakarana
VI. Asava Prakarana
VIII. Lehya Prakarana
VIII. Vati Prakarana
X. Parisishta Prakarana
XI. Parisishta Prakarana - Taila
Your email address will not be published *
Send as free online greeting card
Email a Friend