Zen has played a unique role in the cultural history of Japan.
Zen is to be singled out as a pre-eminent spiritual force that
contributed so much to the formation of Japanese culture and
character. Zen and Japanese Buddhism go together, but still Zen
comes first. Zen is the principle of freedom and democracy. The
interest of the Japanese people in culture, with all its manifold
efflorescence, have increased with the Zen--a form of Buddhism.
I. Zen Buddhism:
1. What is Zen? Not Dhyana by Prajna
2. The development of Zen
3. Schools of Zen
4. The Satori-experience
5. Heaven, nature, emptiness
6. The training in Zen
II. Japanese Buddhism:
1. The two main schools of Buddhism
2. The development of Japanese Buddhism
3. Some eminent persons in Japanese Buddhism
4. Buddhism and Japanese culture.
Suggestions for Further Reading
Send as free online greeting card
Email a Friend